In May this year, my husband and I went to Tokyo. Being the food geeks that we are, we decided to book at least one super nice meal while we were there. We consulted the michelin guide and the San Pellegrino list of top 50 restaurants and came to the obvious conclusion: we must try to get a table at Narisawa.
For anyone who has tried to book a three michelin star restaurant anywhere in the world, you will know that doing so involves working out when tables open, watching World Clock and getting up at a ridiculous hour when tables open. Narisawa advises that tables open on the first of the month for the month ahead. No time was specified. I tried to book a table at midnight on 1 May Tokyo time. No luck. I tried midnight UK time. No luck. Finally, feeling defeated, I went to sleep. I woke up 7 hours later, frantically checked the bookings and May had opened! There was one table left in the week that we were in Tokyo...and it was ours!
Narisawa proved to be worth the effort. We entered the restaurant from the hot Tokyo evening and found ourselves in a cool tranquil modern setting. We were the first to arrive and were shown to a table within sight of the kitchen, which was behind a glass partition.
And so began the most wonderful journey into the French Japanese fusion genius of Yoshihiro Narisawa.
For anyone who has tried to book a three michelin star restaurant anywhere in the world, you will know that doing so involves working out when tables open, watching World Clock and getting up at a ridiculous hour when tables open. Narisawa advises that tables open on the first of the month for the month ahead. No time was specified. I tried to book a table at midnight on 1 May Tokyo time. No luck. I tried midnight UK time. No luck. Finally, feeling defeated, I went to sleep. I woke up 7 hours later, frantically checked the bookings and May had opened! There was one table left in the week that we were in Tokyo...and it was ours!
Narisawa proved to be worth the effort. We entered the restaurant from the hot Tokyo evening and found ourselves in a cool tranquil modern setting. We were the first to arrive and were shown to a table within sight of the kitchen, which was behind a glass partition.
And so began the most wonderful journey into the French Japanese fusion genius of Yoshihiro Narisawa.
The award winning bread of the forest, which proved and was baked at our table
A little snack to get started
Baby sweet fish, plated as if swimming around in a pond
Essence of the forest. Wonderful forest water in a hollowed branch, with the most incredible smelling dish
The bread of the forest, once baked
The butter, moulded into a moss covered stone
Firefly squid
Langoustine
Clam
The most tender wonderful Kagoshima Beef, which melted like butter
Fugu, or "puffer fish" cooked on a skewer
Baby pork
Red gnomefish
Ash covered kobe beef with white asparagus. I could've eaten this 10 times over. Amazing.
Grapefruit palate cleaner
Matcha cake to finish
The treats trolley!
Everything matcha flavoured from the treats trolley
After we finished our meal, we were lucky enough to meet the chef in person. He was a lovely man and was kind enough to give us a signed copy of the menu to take home.
We hope to visit again the next time we are in Tokyo.





















No comments:
Post a Comment